Interesting and surprising facts about the Manchester Derby that you haven't heard about.
Manchester United hosts their bitter rival, Manchester City on Oct 24, Sunday at 07:50 pm NPT. Here are some of the
1. Manchester derby was first played on 12th November 1881, when City were West Gordon (St. Marks) and United were Newton Health. Newton Health won 3-0.
|Newton Health Vs West Gordon|
2. In the derby of December 1970, George Best broke the leg City's Glyn Pardoe with a tackle.
3. Peter Schmeichel played for both teams and remained unbeaten in derby appearances for both team. He represented United from 1991 to 1999 and City in the 2002-03 season.
|No Caption Needed|
combined team of Everton and Liverpool.
5. These two teams have occupied the first and second spot of the league position on three occasions; in 1968-78 season and in 2011-12 season and 2012-13.
6. These two teams have never met in FA cup final or the League Cup final.
7. Out of these two teams, City were the first to win a trophy ever, in 1904.
8. Ryan Giggs is the most prolific Manchester derby player of all time.
9. On 1973-74 season derby , Denis Law re-joined City after playing 11 seasons for United. He scored a back-heel goal in the 81st minute and relegated United.
Watch that goal here.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNnsWnHW9co